Wednesday, January 30, 2013

High School Rivals

When you think of rivals what do you think of?

The term is one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess.

It definately discribes what we are when it comes to high school sports between Roseau and Warroad, Minnesota. I was born and raised in Warroad. Growing up playing sports you just knew that when it was time to play the Roseau Rams in those green and white jerseys that you had to win other wise it was a huge disappointment and in most sports you only have two games either you win both or you lose one and try your damn hardest to win that other game to make it an even battle or in some cases you may loose to them both times but there is always next year we look forward to.

Yesterday, I went to the Warroad/Roseau Hockey game in Roseau. It is by far the biggest rivalry in the state of Minnesota. It wasn't a very good game on Warroads part since we lost 4-0 but before that we won in overtime 4-3. Going to the games and seeing all the fans in the stand just gives you that chill and motivation that you are going to lay your heart and soul out there. These games can get very emotional too.

I can honestly say  that I miss high school so much. The most I miss is the sports, I used to play basketball, it was once the love of my life. I also miss seeing those familiar faces every day and that bond you had with your teammates is something I will never forget.  I always supported every other team as well and we all got along in school. You might be surprised but some of the Warroad and Roseau students got along and were really good friends, maybe not when we were younger but as we got older we knew them because we grew up playing each other every year. In both towns we are all about hockey, my great grandfather was the mayor at one point and even named Warroad "Hockey Town USA". That also doesn't mean that the other sports aren't recognized because we are but there is just that thing about hockey. I love watching hockey, sometimes I wish I would have played that instead of basketball or even both at the same time if I could.

Here are a couple of links if you guys would like to watch:
http://vimeo.com/32342413
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZACw1sVuPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7rzAGMD_KM
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/135591?referrer_id=32760

No comments:

Post a Comment